New Windsor is a town in Orange County, New York, United States. It was founded in 1762 and was named after the town of Windsor in England. The town played a significant role in the American Revolution and has a rich history that spans over two centuries.
Sure, here's an in-depth look at some of the things to explore in New Windsor, NY:
1. National Purple Heart Hall of Honor: The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is a museum and tribute to military veterans who have received the Purple Heart award. It is located on the site where General George Washington was first awarded the Purple Heart medal in 1782. The museum features exhibits that showcase the history and stories of the recipients, as well as artifacts such as uniforms, medals, and photographs. Visitors can also view a short film about the history of the Purple Heart Award and the sacrifices made by those who have received it.
2. New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site: The New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site is a recreation of the 1782 military encampment where soldiers trained and prepared for the final campaign of the American Revolution. Visitors can take a guided tour of the camp, watch demonstrations of musket and artillery firing, and learn about the daily life of soldiers during the Revolution. The site also has a museum with exhibits that showcase the history of the encampment and the surrounding area.
3. Stewart International Airport: Stewart International Airport is a convenient airport for travelers to the New Windsor area. It offers domestic and international flights, as well as rental car services and transportation options to nearby cities such as New York City.
4. Storm King Art Center: The Storm King Art Center is a 500-acre outdoor museum featuring large-scale sculptures and installations by famous artists. The center has over 100 sculptures, including works by Alexander Calder, Mark di Suvero, and Louise Bourgeois. Visitors can explore the grounds on foot or by tram, and there are also guided tours available. The center also hosts concerts, lectures, and other special events throughout the year.
5. Hudson Highlands Nature Museum: The Hudson Highlands Nature Museum is a great place for visitors of all ages to learn about the natural history of the Hudson Highlands region. The museum has a variety of exhibits, including live animals, interactive displays, and hands-on activities for children. The museum also has several nature trails that visitors can explore, as well as a nature play area.6. New Windsor Community Day: New Windsor Community Day is an annual event held in August that brings the community together for a day of fun and festivities. The event features live music, food vendors, games, and activities for all ages. There are also booths and exhibits set up by local businesses and organizations.
7. Local Wineries: New Windsor is home to several wineries, including Brotherhood Winery, the oldest winery in the United States, established in 1839. These wineries offer tastings, tours, and events throughout the year. Visitors can enjoy the beautiful scenery and learn about the wine-making process while sampling some of the local wines.
8. Outdoor Recreation: New Windsor has many parks and outdoor recreation areas, including Plum Point Park, which offers scenic views of the Hudson River, and Delano-Hitch Recreation Park, which has sports fields, trails, and a playground. Other outdoor activities in the area include fishing, boating, and hiking in nearby parks such as the Hudson Highlands State Park and Bear Mountain State Park.
9. New Windsor Community Day: New Windsor Community Day has and always will be run at no cost to New Windsor taxpayers. Proceeds raised by the event go directly to the New Windsor summer concert series, summer camps, and other great town events! . Click here to see the facebook page
In summary, New Windsor, NY has a lot to offer visitors, from historic sites and museums to outdoor recreation and local wineries. Whether you are interested in art, history, nature, or simply having fun with the family, New Windsor has something for everyone.
Find out the value of your home or property in the Hudson Valley market. Get a customized report ...