Here are some popular places that you may want to check out:
1. Visit Storm King Art Center: Storm King Art Center is an open-air museum that features some of the most significant and influential sculptures of the 20th century. The park's extensive collection includes works by artists such as Mark di Suvero, Alexander Calder, Maya Lin, and Louise Nevelson. The artworks are spread out over 500 acres of rolling hills, fields, and woodlands, providing a stunning natural setting for visitors to enjoy. In addition to the art, Storm King also offers events and programs, such as concerts and lectures, throughout the year.
2. Explore the Hudson River: The Hudson River is a magnificent natural wonder that runs along the eastern border of Orange County. There are plenty of opportunities for visitors to experience the river up close, including boat tours, kayaking, and fishing. You can also take a stroll or bike ride along the Hudson River Greenway, a scenic path that stretches from Manhattan to Albany.
3. Go hiking: Orange County has numerous hiking trails that cater to all levels of hikers. One popular destination is the Appalachian Trail, which runs along the western edge of the county. The Harriman State Park trails are also popular, offering beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. In addition, the Walkway Over the Hudson, a converted railway bridge that spans the Hudson River, offers stunning views of the river and the surrounding mountains.
4. Visit wineries and breweries: Orange County is home to several wineries and breweries that offer tours and tastings. One of the oldest wineries in the country, Brotherhood Winery, is located in Washingtonville and offers a range of award-winning wines. The Newburgh Brewing Company is also worth a visit, offering a selection of craft beers and a lively atmosphere.
5. Tour historical sites: Orange County played a significant role in the American Revolution, and there are several historical sites that visitors can explore. Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site in Newburgh was the headquarters for General George Washington during the last years of the Revolutionary War. The Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site is another must-visit destination, offering a glimpse into the famous battle fought there.
6. Enjoy the outdoors: Orange County is home to several state parks that offer a range of outdoor activities. Bear Mountain State Park, located on the western bank of the Hudson River, is a popular destination for hiking, swimming, and picnicking. Greenwood Lake State Park, located on the border with New Jersey, is another great option for fishing, boating, and hiking.
7. Shop and dine in downtown areas: Orange County has several charming downtown areas that offer a range of local shops and restaurants. Newburgh, Middletown, and Warwick are three towns that are worth exploring. Newburgh has a vibrant arts scene and is home to several galleries and museums. Middletown is known for its diverse dining options, and Warwick has a historic downtown area that offers unique shops and boutiques.
In summary, Orange County, NY, is a beautiful and diverse destination that offers a range of activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you're interested in art, history, outdoor recreation, or simply exploring charming downtown areas, Orange County has something to offer.